New writing for theatre is what we love and do.
For over 44 years Playlab has been supporting new writing for theatre through development programs and publication, but with such a groundswell of quality playwrights in Queensland at the moment there is an urgent need for more opportunities for playwrights to be produced at a professional level. In 2017, Playlab will respond to this need and provide a new stage by evolving into a new-writing theatre. This evolution will make Playlab truly unique nationally as the only company to work from idea through development, onto stage and into publication.
As a new-writing theatre, Playlab will provide playwrights with a supportive space that privileges creative risk in terms of craft and story. While for audiences, offer challenging and robust ideas-based work that speaks to the diversity and politics of contemporary Australia. Our first production is the magical Blue Bones by Merlynn Tong at the Brisbane Powerhouse in early May. Developed through Playlab’s programs, Blue Bones is a powerful story told with charisma, humour and incredible honesty. Tickets are limited so book early.
Playlab’s Development program has continued to evolve and in 2017 offers our clearest pathway yet for a play to move from inception to the stage. From the emerging playwrights program Incubator, into Alpha Processing, then Beta Testing and into production, the pathway provides multiple entry points for a work at any level of readiness, and from playwrights of any experience.
We will also welcome our first Playwright-in-Residence, who will receive the support necessary to ready a work for the stage, while earning income from the position. Our services for the sector are broadening too with a new Rehearsal Room available for hire as part of our Creative Services, as well as space for playwrights to work and access Playlab.
Whether you are a playwright, theatre artist, teacher or arts lover, Playlab has something for you. So, please join us as we welcome a new stage in our history.
Development . Production . Publication
Playlab exists to build theatre that matters. Playlab seeks to identify, nurture and support playwrights by offering; development initiatives that provide structure, critical feedback and investment to create high quality work; programs to build skills; and a pathway to the stage in the form of professional productions. Playlab is also dedicated to the promotion of playwrights through the publication of their work and advocacy to local and national presenters and producers.
We are committed to:
· Agency – giving Queensland playwrights and artists a voice on the Australian stage.
· Career Development – providing pathways for growth both professionally and creatively to artists at all levels of experience.
· Collaboration – seeking to make partnerships that elevate and empower Playlab and the artists in its programs.
· Connectivity – linking artists and opportunity, audience and product.
· Currency – work that speaks to the socio-political realities of Australian society.
· Diversity & Equality – celebrate and promote difference through equal opportunity.
· Excellence – producing the highest quality outcomes with and for artists.
· Integrity – operating in a transparent and accountable manner in all endeavours.
· Rigor – an uncompromising commitment to best practice in all processes.
· Identify and Develop quality Queensland playwrights and their work.
· Publicise Queensland playwrights to the local and national theatre scene.
· Produce and present works of excellence by Queensland playwrights.
· Connect the arts and education sectors through professional development and publication.
· Preserve Australia’s cultural capital via publication.
· Promote great art and artists through publication and production.
· Reflect Australia’s diversity.